Believe it or not, water or more specifically optimal hydration is a quite fascinating subject.
The last question I ask all my podcast guests is: “what are 3 practical tips that we can use to raise happier healthier families?”
Everyone Says Hydration
Almost every guest has mentioned something about making sure you are properly hydrated. But, what is proper hydration and how do you know?
I know the old “8 glasses a day” is not really a good metric. We have to be drinking the right kind of water (clean, filtered preferably fluoride free), but it turns out there is A LOT more to it than that.
Even if you’re drinking 8-10 or even 20 glasses of water, is that water actually getting where it needs which is inside your cells. If it’s not getting in the cell, then you can still be dehydrated.
Let me use myself as an example
I probably get about 8-12 glasses depending on the day. BUT, I find myself running to the bathroom at least once an hour which I always thought was weird, but I assumed I was going more because everyone else wasn’t drinking as much as me. BUT, it looks like the water I am drinking is just going right through me rather than getting where it needs to go to actually hydrate my cells my tissues and my organs.
My son with autism is the same way. He drinks all the time and seems to always be thirsty. BUT, he also pees like 3-5 times every hour. (It’s crazy!) He’s like a never-ending spring that just keeps flowing.
I really wanted to dive into this topic because it is quite clear how important hydration is to our health and healing.
I invited Dr Dana Cohen on the show who literally wrote the book on hydration.
Her book, Quench, was really fascinating as was our conversation, and I think you guys are going to enjoy this conversation.
In this episode of The Happy Healthy Family Podcast, Dr Dana and I dive into optimal hydration. We discuss a number of different things including:
- What is chronic low grade dehydration
- Signs of low grade dehydration
- Structured or “gel water”
- The importance of salt and electrolytes
- How the body’s fascial network (tissue that surround organs/muscles) deliver water to our tissues and cells
The Happy Healthy Family Podcast Episode 26
Why 8 Glasses A Day Is Not The Way w/Dr Dana Cohen
Click Below To Listen For Free On Your Favorite Podcast Player:
Find True Hydration With Gel Water & MicroMovements
Chronic Low Grade Dehydration Is The Epidemic Behind All Epidemics.
Proper hydration is the key to optimal health and healing, but we have to make sure the water your eat or drink reaches the cellular level in order to truly be hydrated.
I welcome Dr Dana Cohen, integrative doc & author of Quench. We discuss environmental causes of dehydration & structured water. Plus, how the body’s fascial tissue is a complex water delivery system & how micromovements hydrate your tissues.
Visit The Show Sponsor
Therasage Infrared Saunas
Full Spectrum, No EMF Portable Infrared Saunas: Non Off Gassing Materials with Advanced Earthing Technology and Negative Ion Release.
- What does water do for us, and why should we worry about optimal hydration
- How hydration keeps the body in homeostasis
- First sign of low grade dehydration
- “if you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated”
- Why you should front load your water intake with 16oz of lemon, salt in water
- What is chronic low grade dehydration and why is it the “epidemic behind all epidemics”
- How do you know if you’re dehydrated, early signs
- How often should you be peeing
- Antidiuretic hormone and how it affects hydration
- Impact of fiber on hydration and does fiber feed bad microbes in the gut
- Impact of keto and other high protein high animal foods have on hydration
- What foods dehydrate us
- Does sugar dehydrate us
- The biggest challenge with hydration is their is no way to measure it
- What is structured or gel water
- How does gel water hydrate us better than regular water and how it can help us generate energy
- Where do we find structured water and how to get more
- Does carbonation have any impact on hydration and should we stop drinking Zevia or sparkling waters
- How the Infrared Sauna is the best way to structure the water inside our cells
- Does the Ion Cleanse foot bath have an impact on hydration or structured water in our cell
- The importance of salt and do we need to add potassium to balance sodium
- Fascial system as a complex water delivery system
- The importance of “micro movements” on water delivery and hydration
- An overview of the Quench Plan (front load water, drink before meals, smoothies, micro movements, and a whole food diet)
- Juicing vs smoothies
- 3 practical tips for raising a happier healthier family
Links and Other Info From The Show:
Seeking Health Electrolyte Powder
More With Dr Dana Cohen Clifton:
More With Dr Dana Cohen
Elevate your health & well-being with Dr. Cohen and integrative medicine
Dr. Dana Cohen is renowned by her peers and beloved by patients for her nuanced practice of Integrative Medicine. In practice for over 15 years, she trained under the late
Dr. Robert Atkins, author of the iconic Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution, and Dr. Ronald L. Hoffman, a pioneer of integrative medicine and founder of the Hoffman Center in New York City. She earned her MD from St. George’s University School of Medicine and completed a three-year internal medicine residency at Albany Medical Center.
Leave a Reply