Have you been trying to get over your chronic symptom(s), but not getting the results you’re hoping for? Perhaps, you need a more systematic approach to healing. Evan Brand tells us all about the functional medicine approach he uses with his clients.
Start By Supporting The Adrenals
One of my biggest takeaways from our conversation was how important it is to support the adrenal glands before doing anything else. In his functional medicine approach, Evan believes you have to calm down the adrenals, reduce stress, and make sure the body is ready to handle the more intense healing to be done later.
This makes a ton of sense to me because I’ve been trying various techniques, strategies, & treatments for my son’s autism, but he always seems to feel worse. It’s almost as if he can’t handle antimicrobials or detoxification no matter how slow and gentle we try to be.
I’ve made it a point to support his adrenals and attempt to reduce his stress, but maybe I am not doing a thorough enough job of it. During our conversation, Evan gives us plenty of ideas and supplement recommendations that may help with that adrenal support. Evan also says that this process can take a couple of months or longer before the client is ready.
A Functional Medicine Approach: Quick Overview Of The 3 Body Systems
Body System #1: Adrenals & Thyroid
Body systems #1 is the adrenals, thyroid, & hormones, so calming down the stress response is a huge piece of this step. If you’re not getting better after doing all you can to manage stress and taking various adaptogens to help, then you may want to see a practitioner who can take a functional medicine approach to balancing your thyroid & hormones.
A Functional Medicine Approach: System #2 The Gut
Once the client is ready, then Evan moves on to the gut. This is where he starts to identify and get rid of infections like SIBO, candida, or parasites and then reestablish a healthy balance of probiotic microbes in the gut.
Once infections are gone and balance is restored, then it’s time to heal and seal the gut. In the interview, Evan gives us his favorite supplements that he uses to help his clients heal their leaky gut.
A Functional Medicine Approach: System #3 Detoxification
Detoxification is the final body system, but Evan will occasionally start working on gently detoxing his clients even in the beginning. Early on in the process, Evan uses supplements, herbs, & strategies to support the liver, gently bind to toxins, and help crowd out infections.
Every person is different, so Evan’s functional medicine approach is not one size fits all. He personalizes his 3 body systems approach based on their history, background, and what the lab testing reveals.
Listen To Our Conversation To Learn More
In this episode of The Happy Healthy Family Podcast, Evan and I dive into his functional medicine approach and take several detours along the way. We discuss a number of different topics including:
- the importance of managing stress and supporting the adrenals
- avoiding “the supplement graveyard’
- herbs for healing the gut and supporting the adrenals
- symptoms of low dopamine
- why Evan gives his kids chlorella & adaptogens
- and a whole lot more
The Happy Healthy Family Podcast Episode 27
3 Body Systems Approach To Healing w/Evan Brand #27
Click Below To Listen For Free On Your Favorite Podcast Player:
Fix Adrenals, Heal The Gut, Detox Safely
Learn more about the approach functional medicine expert Evan Brand uses to help his clients heal from chronic illness.
Evan tells us why it’s critical to make sure our body is ready to handle killing infections or detox and he shares his favorite supplements to support the adrenals and heal the gut.
We also discuss the importance of lab testing, how childhood trauma can affect your health later in life, and why cheat days are stupid.
Visit The Show Sponsor
Full Spectrum, No EMF Portable Infrared Saunas: Non Off Gassing Materials with Advanced Earthing Technology and Negative Ion Release.
- When & why people with chronic health symptoms should seek help from a functional medicine practitioner
- What’s the 1st step in evaluating a new client or patient
- Why Evan uses an ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score as part of his intake process
- How childhood trauma affects long term health
- Why Evan uses adaptogens & chlorella with his young kids
- Evan’s “test don’t guess” philosophy
- The 2 tests Evan runs on all new clients
- 3 Body system approach to healing
- Why start with the adrenals and hormone balance
- Evan’s favorite herbs to support the adrenals
- Are adrenal extracts any good
- Do we have to give up coffee and other stimulants
- Why we may need more amino acids instead of stimulants
- Symptoms of low dopamine and supplements to boost dopamine
- The Gut is the 2nd body system: kill infections, heal and seal
- Secretory IgA the marker for leaky gut
- Is there an ideal diet during step 2
- Detox: 3rd Body system
- supplements to support the liver and detoxification
- How kids are more toxic than adults
- The reason Evan never drinks tap water
- Why Evan believes that cheat days are ridiculous
- Why you should slow down whenever there is an increase in symptoms or a “flare”
- Evan’s 3 tips on raising a healthier happier family
Links and Other Info From The Show:
Supplements For The Gut
- Eleuthero/Siberian Ginseng
- Lion’s Mane
- Reishi Mushroom
- JuJuBe Seed
- Passion Flower
More With Evan Brand:
Episodes Mentioned On The Show
- Emotional Trauma & Health
- Dr Stephanie Ray From BioRay
- Stephanie Seneff: Glyphosate, Vaccines, & Autism
Who Is Evan Brand
Evan Brand is a Podcast Host, Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner and Nutritional Therapist. He is passionate about healing the chronic fatigue, obesity, and depression epidemics after solving his own IBS and depression issues. He uses at-home lab testing and customized supplement programs to find and fix the root cause of a wide range of health symptoms. His Evan Brand Podcast has over 7 million downloads and counting. He is the author of Stress Solutions, REM Rehab and The Everything Guide to Nootropics. He offers free 15-minute functional medicine phone consultations to discuss your health symptoms and goals at his site EvanBrand.com
EVAN BRAND, CFMP, NTP