Have you ever purchased bulk herbs for health and healing, but then you had no idea what to do with them? I have about 5-6 packages of herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs that have been sitting in my pantry for months.
After talking with Devon Young, author of the new book The Backyard Herbal Apothecary, I am excited to go put those herbs into good use for my family’s health.
If you want to learn more about using herbs for health and healing, then this is the episode for you!
The Happy Healthy Family Podcast Episode 18
Herbs For Health and Healing w/Devon Young
|Also Available On Your Favorite Podcast Player (click below)|
Free to Listen On: Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify, iHeartRadio
Have More Energy, Better Sleep, & Improve Your Health By Using Herbal Medicine
We discuss tinctures, extracts, & other herbal preparations, growing our own herbs, and the best herbs for health and healing (sleep, energy, mental health & more).
I welcome Devon Young, herbalist & author of The Backyard Herbal Apothecary. She is a homesteader who also shares her knowledge on her website NittyGrittyLife.com. Devon also has a degree in Complementary & Alternative Medicine.
Full Spectrum, No EMF Infrared Saunas: Portable, Non Off Gassing Material, with Advanced Earthing Technology & Negative Ion Release
- The basic ways to prepare herbs
- Difference between an extract and a tincture
- Different means of making extracts and tinctures and why to use each (alcohol, vinegar, glycerine..etc)
- What is an oxymel?
- How the term elixir is somewhat ambiguous when talking herbal medicine
- When we need to make a long brewed tea or a decoction
- What is a salve and what’s the best use
- How observing the herb itself, in its natural state, can give us clues as to the best herbal preparation to use
- Do we get the same benefits if we take the the herbs in a capsule or whole powder
- Why it’s a good idea to filter out a powdered herbs after making a tincture/extraction
- The effects of cooking with herbs for health and healing
- How nettle is great for energy and adrenal support
- What nettle tastes like and what it pairs well with
- The key to success with herbs is to address lifestyle issues in addition to using herbs
- Devon’s favorite herb for sleep
- One of the best herbs for mental health (anxiety, depression)
- How St John’s Wort helps with mental health
- Gentle herbs may be better for children’s mental health
- How cottonwood and cayenne help with joint pain
- Why elderberry is Devon’s favorite herb to support the immune system
- Herbs that help set our body up for detox by clearing blockages in the liver and kidneys
- Dandelion leaf and cornsilk are great to help support the kidneys and urinary tract
- The best place to buy herbs online (Mountain Rose Herbs)
- How to start growing herbs
- How to make a tincture
Order Devon’s Book!
Links and Other Info From The Show:
Connect With Devon
- Facebook Group: Nitty Gritty Home Herbalists
- On Facebook, Instagram, YouTube
- The Backyard Herbal Apothecary
*Some of these are affiliate links. Purchasing through these links supports this website and my family with no added cost to you**