Chronic stress is brutal on your health. We all know that, but many of us dismiss our ability to control the stressors in our life. Afterall, it’s other people, work, the situation, or random events that stress us out, right?
But, guess what. Stress is an everyday part of all of our lives, and if we want to live a happy, healthy, & more fulfilling life, we must learn to manage that stress.
Speaking From Experience
I can personally attest to the way stress can destroy your health and with it your happiness. From as long as I can remember, (way back to middle school really) I did not handle stress well. In fact, I didn’t handle it at all. Stress had more control over me than I had over it.
Fast forward 20+ years, and I am feeling the health implications that chronic stress has brought on. Chronic pain, extreme fatigue, a weak immune system, chemical sensitivity, and a whole assortment of other random issues too. Not too mention the emotional toll dealing with all this has had on me too.
Thankfully, I realized a few years ago, that stress was here to stay. It’s up to me to get control of my response to stress. Not only so I can be happy, but so I can finally heal my body and be free from all these health issues.
Over the past few years, I have made huge mindset shifts and lifestyle modifications mindfulness/meditation) on top of my diet changes. Reducing stress is a big focus for my son’s autism treatment as well.
Thankfully, my health is improving and so is my happiness. There’s still progress to make, but I am confident I’m on the right path.
Stress: It Does A Body NO Good
How Stress Affects The Body
Stress can trigger cortisol (stress hormone), which also spikes your blood sugar because your body is looking for energy to fight the perceived threat. Overtime, chronically elevated blood sugar can lead to weight gain, insulin resistance, and diabetes.
Stress can also mess with your reproductive hormones, which can cause infertility or problems conceiving a child.
The Microbiome & Stress
Stress negatively impacts the healthy probiotic organisms in your gut, and promotes the pathogenic (the bad guys) microbes. These bad bugs can suppress the immune system and interfere with digestive health and with normal neurotransmitter production.
Chronic stress can also lead to leaky gut, which can eventually lead to autoimmunity and other chronic illnesses.
What Can We Do About It
I invited Dr Madiha Saeed on to the podcast to discuss how stress and chronic inflammation impacts our health. Dr Madiha overcame serious illnesses including Lupus, Hashimoto’s and several others, which she believes were all brought on by stress.
She has proven it’s possible to overcome these conditions, and she will share simple, effective, & free strategies to help us beat stress and prevent or heal chronic illness.
Listen To Our Conversation To Learn More
In this episode of The Happy Healthy Family Podcast, Dr Madiha and I dive into her Holistic Rx for better health & healing. We discuss:
- 80% of complaints to primary care docs are due to stress
- what chronic stress & inflammation does to the body
- teaching kids mindfulness & meditation
- importance of social relationships
- power of gratitude
The Happy Healthy Family Podcast Episode 28
Stress: It Does A Body NO Good w/Dr Madiha Saeed (ep 28)
Click Below To Listen For Free On Your Favorite Podcast Player:
Foundations of Health, The 4 Big S’s, & The Holistic Rx
Chronic stress goes hand in hand with chronic inflammation, which is the #1 cause of all chronic health issues and disease.
Dr Madiha Saeed & I discuss the impact of inflammation, how stress contributes to poor health, & why gratitude may be the most powerful thing we can do for our family’s health & happiness.
Dr Madiha shares simple, & free ways to create a lifestyle to foster healing & better health.
- Dr Madiha’s tells her story of being diagnosed with Lupus, Hashimoto’s, and battled through chronic fatigue; how she overcame them all to become an energetic Holistic MD and Mom of 4
- Her mission is to teach people how to heal from the inside out
- #1 cause of all chronic health issues and disease
- Cytokines: when they are good and when they are really bad
- The foundations of good health
- Stress and the physical response to a perceived threat
- 80% of all complaints to primary care doctors are caused by stress
- If you want to be happy, you have to manage your stress
- How and why Dr Madiha teaches her kids to meditate every day
- Why parents MUST take care of themselves first
- How to teach kids mindfulness
- The importance of social relationships
- The health implications of negative relationships
- Why Dr Madiha starts all her patients out with a spiritual/gratitude practice
- How spiritual health affects your heart rate variability
- Healing power of gratitude
- The most powerful thing we can do for our mind/body is meditate and be grateful
- My family’s gratitude dinner practice
- Positive & grateful people heal faster
- Impact of past trauma on your health
- The Holistic Rx: the first book of its kind
- Dr Madiha’s 3 practical tips to raise a happier healthier family
Visit The Show Sponsor
Full Spectrum, No EMF Portable Infrared Saunas: Non Off Gassing Materials with Advanced Earthing Technology and Negative Ion Release.
Links and Other Info From The Show:
More With Dr Madiha:
HHF Podcast Episode Mentioned On The Show
My Blogs On Mindfulness
The Holistic Rx
Frustrated and overwhelmed with 100s of resources… where was I going to start to help put me back in driver’s seat of my own health. If I as a physician was confused, can’t even imagine the confusing road patients take. So I took matters into my own hands and after 4 years of study, I wrote The Holistic Rx: Your Guide to Healing Chronic Inflammation and Disease. #1 New Release in 4 Categories and a Best Seller on Amazon!
The Best of Holistic, Functional and Integrative Medicine All in ONE Source Covering Over 70 Conditions for All Ages! Get The Book Now!
Who Is Dr Madiha Saeed
Enthusiastically educating and impacting lives is her hobby, passion and life-purpose, and resonates in all that she has accomplished in such a short time: a rapidly growing social media presence, published articles, public speaking events and success with healing diseases.
Her articles are regularly published by Holistic Primary Care (https://www.holisticprimarycare.net/) and she is the Director of Education for Documenting Hope (www.documentinghope.com) where she continues to teach classes and workshops on how to holistically manage health conditions.
It’s her lifelong mission to ignite the flame of holistic health in all patients/families and practitioners.